In a child care center there are often unavoidable hazards that happen throughout the day, like a wet floor or astray toys. Here are some tips to help avoid safety concerns:
- For any visible warnings for hazards and wet floors
- To promote proper and frequent hand washing
- If allergies are present for a child or staff member communicate the information to parents and other staff members
- Implement “Nut Free” or “Scent Free” policies if needed
Take ProActive Measures:
- Ensure stairways, walkways, ramps & passageway are kept free of toys or other tripping hazards throughout the day
- Complete toy sanitation of any mouthed toys
- Ensure hazardous substances or objects such as hot surfaces are inaccessible to children
- Maintain tables, chairs and play structures.
- Consider making a safety checklist for your staff
- Review your provinces child care facility safety guidelines
First Aid Procedures:
- Keep a record of any injury that affects any staff or child, and take measures to prevent a recurrence
- A First Aid kit needs to be accessible whenever children are in care, including field trips.
- Supervisors should develop, maintain and post or make available, first aid/emergency procedures/violence policies and update them yearly/ as needed.
Child Care Facility Daily Checklist Example: