Early Childhood Educator Job in Ottawa, Ontario
In this role you will manage the daily operations of the Childcare center, establish, and sustain a positive learning environment for children. The role will also ensure that the education programs comply with the government regulations
The Center Director's duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Business operations:
• Implementing and supervising strategies and policies to ensure the provision of a safe environment for all children and staff including preventative maintenance and staff/management meetings dealing with risks ensuring license compliance.
• Working with the Centralized waiting list, communicating by email and telephone, answering questions on the Centre’s operations, sharing experiences to help guide new parents in making informed childcare decisions, meeting with parents giving centre tours to potential parents, registration of new enrollment, etc.
• Attending inspections and visits of the Licensing, health department, Annual yard inspections, and other official government authorities.
• Overseeing and approving the weekly schedule for all staff and ensuring ratios are always met.
• Overseeing and confirming the implementation of play-based emergent learning opportunities for the children in the program to promote the creative, intellectual, social, emotional, and physical growth of each child attending the program.
• Communicating with parents about children’s issues such as behavioral or learning difficulties and other daycare-related concerns, which may include child safety, policies, curriculum, or fee.
• Providing shift coverage when needed.
• Under the guidance of the Board of Directors, the role will include the human resource functions of the centre such as recruitment, employee relations, health and safety, performance management, discipline, and termination.
• Provide training and professional development for staff members.
3. Budget and Financial
• Plan, organize, control, and evaluate the attainment and use of supplies necessary for the efficient and effective operation of the facility in conjunction with company policies and procedures.
• Maximize revenue by providing quality services and maintaining optimal occupancy and market rates.
• Responsible for paying all necessary invoices including the Centre’s Business visa card and handling the petty cash.
• Record keeping of financial transactions and receiving the treasurer of the Board of Director`s approval before issuing a pre-authorized cheque.
4. Regulatory Compliance
• Ensure compliance with childcare licensing standards;
• Review, develop and implement COTH policies and practices;
• Liaise with the various House of Commons departments and services as well as various governing bodies when required.
• Ensure the confidentiality of information relating to children, families, staff, financial arrangements, and results;
• Other duties as assigned
To be successful in the Executive Director position, an individual must have and demonstrate the following:
Qualifications for the Director position:
• Registered member in good standing with the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators;
• Early Childhood Education Diploma/Degree from a recognized community college or University or other equivalent educational qualifications.
• Minimum of five years’ experience in a Licensed Child Care Program with the appropriate age groups;
• Experience in a leadership role;
• Experience working with emergent curriculum, How Does Learning Happen? and Early Learning for Every Child Today.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to communicate effectively in English and French, both orally and written.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to provide leadership, direction, support, and motivation;
• Ability to work independently with limited direction;
• Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus;
• Excellent organization skills to plan, organize and direct the operations of the facility;
• Excellent knowledge of the Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA);
• Holds a valid Standard First Aid & CPR – Level C Certification;
• Proof of Vaccinations including Proof of COVID-19 vaccination;
• Experienced in basic bookkeeping and familiar with accounting best practices and procedures;
• Ability to analyze and synthesize information;
• Creative problem and solving Conflict resolution skills;
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to multitask;
• Ability to work collaboratively with others;
• Ability to maintain professional conduct and confidentiality at all times;
• Knowledge of community resources;
• Ability to meet the physical demands of the job;
• Must be prepared to respond to emergencies;
• Vulnerable sector Police Check;
• Must be willing to work the hours necessary to ensure the effective operation of the facility;
• References: 3 work references, 2 character references.